When you first start Pokémon Go, there is a lot that you just have to figure out from experience and you have to sift through the bad advice and incorrect tips found on the internet. One of these incorrect tips, by the way, is tapping on a missed Pokeball to retrieve it (it doesn’t work).
So here are some actual, proven, and confirmed tips that will save you time and make your Pokémon Go experience even more fun. This Reddit post reveals a full list of game mechanics that they didn’t learn until reaching level 28. I’m on level 22 and I didn’t know about most of them:
- You can tap the “Oh?” screen with two fingers to skip the hatch animation (thanks u/Robdog777 and u/Fuzati)
- Tapping on the “transfer succeeded” banner dismisses it
- Clicking on the compass aligns the view with north, clicking again dynamically moves the view to align with where your phone is facing.
- Swiping up during a gym battle brings up the switch ‘mon screen
- There is a slider at the side of the pokemon screen that allows you to scroll through the entire list without dragging up multiple times (thanks u/DynamoPro)
- Press and hold the pokeball menu button then drag and release on whichever thing you want to open, saving an extra tap (thanks u/Handtuch1).
- If you tap to the left or right of a Pokemon’s CP number when looking at its details, you will navigate to the previous or next Pokemon in the list (thanks u/Nriqg)
- Tapping multiple Pokemon at once in the heal/revive screens heals/revives every Pokemon tapped, so you don’t have to heal/revive individually (thanks u/johnsmusicbox)
- If you tap the appraisal screen with 1, 2, or 3 fingers, it’ll skip that many screens. (thanks u/pppeeepppsssiii)
- Evolving a Pokemon awards you with one candy. So if you have a Squirtle and 124 candy, you’ll have the 100 for a Blastoise after evolving to Wartortle. (thanks u/iliketoast714)
- On the map screen tap once then quickly press and hold to zoom in and out by moving your finger up and down (during the hold), an alternative to pinch to zoom. (thanks u/chrissulli13)
- Clicking the Candy icon in the buddy screen allows you to see your buddy’s CP/Moves/Total Candy Count. (Thanks u/maulpets)
- When you delete a Pokémon’s name a press “OK” it will revert to its default name (Thanks u/Fuzati)
- You can swipe through gym defenders while your team roster is up. (Thanks u/woodswims)
- You don’t need to click “OK” on the Pokemon captured dialog, just click somewhere on the lower half of the screen. This allows you to get out of the post capture screens quickly by tapping twice where the checkbox is on the stats screen. (Thanks u/Roro_chan)
- Clicking on your avatar in the profile screen brings up the buddy screen. (thanks u/AmSquirrel)
- If you are out of revives but have stardust, you can bring an unconscious pokemon back (with 1 hp) by powering it up. NOTE: Sometimes your ‘mon doesn’t gain hp when leveling, so your mileage may vary. (thanksu/Scourge108)
When spinning poke stops you don’t have to click each item. Just spin and exit the poke stop, all items will be collected. (thanks u/fighterbynite)
These tips are extremely helpful. I didn’t even know about the last tip until I had already reached level 15 in the game. There are a few other tips that you might want to know that were brought up by other Reddit users in the comment section such as this one from vibrunazo that has to do with beating gym defenders:
“When you are training and want to just beat the first defender then run from the second. You can run faster if you click the run button during the first fight, before the finishing move lands. Then you leave the confirmation dialog open, and only click OK as soon as the “go” message in the second fight starts.
Works better when you finish the first Pokémon with a special move that you know will overkill. Finish charging.. Press run.. In the background behind the dialog you’ll see the enemy fainting, then you’ll see the next one spawn, then as you see round letters from “go” flying, click OK.”
And finally user Fuzati offers some advice on how to make sure you never accidentally transferred your prized Pokemon:
“When you delete a Pokémon’s name a press “OK” it will revert to its default name.
Also, favorited Pokémons cannot be accidentally transferred.”
There you have it, all of the tips, tricks, and secret mechanics that you probably didn’t know about. Good luck!